Tree Planting: Our program partners provide tree planting services available in our watershed.
- The Green Acres Reforestation Program: Supported through the City of Ottawa.
- Private Land Forestry Programs: Large scale tree planting may be supported in other areas of the watershed in partnership with Rideau Valley Conservation Authority.
- Ash Tree Replacement Program: Through partnership with the City of Ottawa, South Nation Conservation offers an Ash Tree Replacement Pilot Program to assist landowners within the City of Ottawa affected by the Emerald Ash Borer on private property.
Volunteer Planting Events: We encourage and seek out opportunities for large scale planting events in our watershed communities. With the help of volunteers, we have worked to restore shoreline areas throughout the watershed including;
- Planting along Kizell Drain in Kanata thanks to the help of employees from nearby businesses;
- Planting public spaces with community volunteers including the banks of Poole Creek in Stittsville and along the Mississippi River at the Almonte Fair Grounds;
- Centennial Park in Carleton Place with the help of local school groups.
Shoreline Naturalization Program
Supports landowners by providing planting advice and recommendations to provide benefits of a healthy shoreline. Shoreline naturalization has many benefits including; erosion protection, habitat and water quality enhancement.
Steps To Get Started:
- Contact MVCA: Discuss your shoreline and assess planting potential.
- Site Visit: To assess the shoreline conditions and the landowner’s goals for the planting area.
- Planting Plan: A custom plan will be developed including recommendations of native trees and shrubs based on the shoreline conditions and discussions of landowner preferences. See MVCA Plant List for species available through the program.
- Delivery and Planting: Plants will be ordered for spring delivery and planting assistance.
Land Management: Get free advice and information about planting appropriate trees and shrubs that will give your land greater natural protection.
For more information on MVCA stewardship programs, call or email our office.