COVID-19 Update:

All of MVCA’s sites and our Administrative office are open to the public during normal working hours. We require visitors to our buildings to wear masks, and to self-screen and sign-in before engaging with staff.

Please note, we continue to receive higher than normal volumes of planning and regulations applications and we are working to respond to them as quickly as possible.

Your partner in risk management, resource conservation and stewardship

Development & Permits

Home > Development & Permits

Please note that the Planning & Regulations department is receiving a higher than normal volume of planning applications and is working as quickly as possible to respond to them all.

If you are planning to build or alter land (e.g. excavate or fill) near a wetland, watercourse, or along a shoreline, you may require a permit from Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority (MVCA) or municipal planning approval.

MVCA administers a permitting process to protect peoples’ lives and property from natural hazards such as flooding and erosion, and to maintain the health of the watershed.  Permits are issued in accordance with the provincial Conservation Authorities Act and Ontario Regulation 153/06: Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority: Regulation of Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses.

Conservation Authorities are a commenting agency for applications made under the Planning Act such as severances, site plans, subdivisions, zoning by-laws amendments, and minor variances. MVCA comments on the potential impact of development on natural heritage issues, (water quality, storm water management, wetlands, aquatic resources, etc.), natural hazards (flooding and erosion) and in some areas of the watershed, on-site servicing such as wells and sewage disposal systems). The Province has mandated that Conservation Authorities comment on natural hazards and MVCA has agreements with its member municipalities to assist in addressing natural heritage issues.

Are you planning development and have questions? Read our FAQs.

Call 613-253-0006 for a pre-consultation with one of our staff.  Calls are normally returned within 2 business days.  Ideally, you should contact MVCA at the same time as your local municipality to streamline required approvals.