Environmental Planning allows development to be carried out with due consideration given to the natural environmental, social, political, economic and governance factors. At Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority we engage in short term and long term planning daily and administer several programs with respect to development review within the watershed, under the Conservation Authorities Act:
1. Advisory Program (advising municipalities)
2. Regulations (issuing permits for work in regulated areas)
3. Technical Report Review (professional review of technical documents for large scale and complex development)
How does the environmental planning we do at MVCA affect you as a Waterfront Property Owner?
Landowners with property on or near the shoreline of a lake, river or stream may require a permit if they wish to develop their lots under the MVCA Ontario Regulation 153/06 known as Development, Interference with Wetlands and alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses. This regulation is designed to control or prevent potential problems caused by inappropriate land development.
Permits are required for:
- New construction, reconstruction;
- Additions or alterations to existing buildings or structures;
- Site grading, including placing, dumping or removal of fill or other material;
- Straightening, changing or diverting or interfering with an existing channel of a river, creek, stream, watercourse or shoreline; or
- Changing or interfering with a Provincially Significant Wetland (PSW) *including lands within 120 m of the wetland boundary.
We encourage property owners to contact our environmental planners before beginning any work. Completing work that is not permitted can lead to removal of the work and restoration of the land affected or fines.
Click here to get started. At any point in the process feel free to call MVCA and speak directly with staff at (613) 253.0006.
If your application cannot be approved in its current form, MVCA will make recommendations to help future construction on your property so that it:
- Protects your home or business from natural hazards, like flooding and erosion
- Preserves the diverse habitats and wildlife, and natural heritage features of the Mississippi Valley
- Supports source water protection best practices
How MVCA Stewardship Services help you and your shoreline
At MVCA we believe in providing in the ground assistance and advise so that you can successfully manage your land now to ensure a sustainable future for generations to come. We currently offer these advisory services:
1. Plant Your Land (FREE shoreline planting and rehabilitation service)
2. Land Resource Management Advice (FREE best management practices for sustainable land uses)
3. Rural Clean Water Funding (grants to upgrade your well in the rural communities of the City of Ottawa)
Our experienced staff is available for on site consultation, phone, and email inquires and office visits. Our free information resources and advice are accessible to all landowners within the Mississippi Valley and Carp River watershed regions.
MVCA staff can help get you started on programs we offer and those offered by other agencies, such as:
Programs MVCA staff can help you access, contact staff to learn more:
Trees Ontario Planting Program (Mississippi , Rideau Valley CAs)
Environmental Farm Plan (Ontario Soil & Crop Improvement Association)
Ontario Drinking Water Stewardship Program (Ministry of the Environment)
Managed Forest Tax Incentive Program (Ministry of Natural Resources)
Carp River Green Banks (MVCA, Friends of the Carp River, Ottawa Stewardship Council)
Conservation Land Tax Incentive Program (Ministry of Natural Resources)
Green Acres-Ottawa Rural Reforestation Program (City of Ottawa/Mississippi, Rideau Valley CAs)
Ottawa Rural Clean Water Program (City Of Ottawa/Mississippi, Rideau, South Nation CAs)
Contact Brian at 613.253.0006 ext. 228 or email email@example.com to get advice on which programs suit your needs and get help when applying for them.