The Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority monitors stream flow, meteorological conditions, operational conditions at the dams and water quality. The information is collected and transmitted from each station to the MVCA's Operations Centre in Carleton Place, Ontario. Once an hour the data are summarized and posted to this web site.
Data posted to this web site are provisional data that have not been reviewed or edited and are subject to change. These data are not citable until reviewed and approved by the MVCA or our partner agencies.A number of factors will influence the accuracy of real-time water level and flow data including;
- backwater from ice, weeds or debris,
- malfunctioning equipment and/or routine maintenance of equipment may cause data spikes, and
- sediment accumulation may lead to plugged intake.
- funnels and instruments may become fouled with debris or insects,
- the tipping bucket mechanism may malfunction, and
- the tipping bucket rain gauge may not properly record precipitation during freezing weather conditions.
- Water quality probes may become fouled with sediment or debris, and
- malfunctioning equipment and/or routine maintenance of equipment may cause data spikes.
River levels and flows can change rapidly in response to water entering the river as a result of rainfall or snowmelt, or changes in discharge from the major reservoirs operated by the MVCA.
Users of the MVCA's real-time data are cautioned to consider the provisional nature of the information before using it for decisions that concern personal or public safety or the conduct of business.