TITLE: Planning & Regulations Assistant
REPORTS TO: Regulations Officer
LENGTH: Four months – May to August.
SUMMARY: A key member of the Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority (MVCA) team; the Planning & Regulations Assistant will assist in the implementation of the Authority’s Plan Review and Section 28 Regulations Program. Knowledge of municipal planning documents, statutes, legislation and watershed management objectives are required.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list)
• Implements the Authority’s Section 28 Regulations Program.
• Assist with coordinating the regulatory compliance program and conducting inspections of permissions issued by the MVCA under Ontario Regulation 153/06.
• Assist with the enforcement of Ontario Regulation 153/06, made pursuant to Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act.
• Assists in technical evaluations on Ontario Regulation 153/06 applications, reviews and/or assists in the coordination of the review of reports (grading plans, fisheries, EIS and site plans).
• Maintains an accurate data base and filing system for regulation files and planning applications.
• Attends fairs, shows and educational days, on occasions, as a representative of the Authority to assist with community outreach.
• Perform work in accordance with the provisions of Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and all other corporate/departmental policies and procedures.
• Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Must be returning to post-secondary studies in the fall. Relevant university or college program preferred. (e.g. Environmental Science, Natural Resources Law, Geography, Planning)
• Valid Class G Drivers License and access to a personal vehicle.
• Pleasure Craft Operators Card.
• Working knowledge of applicable Occupational Health and Safety legislation; general knowledge of relevant corporate/departmental policies.
• Fatigue resulting from focusing on and juggling multiple priorities; dealing with constant deadlines.
• Fatigue resulting from a very high degree of concentrated attention, focused thinking/analysis/interpretation.
• Potential high stress load from dealing with the public (i.e. confrontational situations, difficult people, etc.)
• Work is performed in both an indoor and outdoor environment with occasional exposure to adverse weather conditions.
• Occasionally exposed to difficult clientele.
• Occasionally exposed to insects, fumes.
• Regularly required to travel within the Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority’s watershed. There may be an occasional requirement for travelling greater distances.
• Required to extend hours of work to meet work demands including peak periods where required to work evenings or weekends.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume and cover letter in MS WORD or ADOBE PDF file format, no later than March 15, 2019 to:
Andy Moore, Regulations Officer
Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority
10970 Hwy 7, Carleton Place Ontario, K7C 3P1
We thank all applicants for your interest; however, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. This commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.